Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lesson 11 practical, Pasteur Cafe, Lesson 10 demo

Things are back in full swing. Today, I had a practical in the morning, had a 4 hour break for lunch, and went back to school for a demo class.

During our practical, I made roasted chicken, jus, turned artichokes, and garden-style vegetables. The roast chicken turned out pretty yummy but for all that work in the kitchen, I'd just be tempted to buy the roasted chicken at Safeway for just a few bucks. We also learned how to "turn" artichokes, which means cutting them down in a round shape, mostly just so that they look pretty... We cut several kinds of veggies (carrots, daikon, celery root, green beans) into sticks (batonnet cut) for our garden-style veggies, and surprisingly, the veggies weren't loaded with butter so they were actually pretty healthy (I think I'm reaching a state of butter overload).

I had a long break in between classes today so Quinn met me at the Pasteur Cafe for lunch. I had a delicious salad with hot goat cheese, toast, sauteed potatoes (my fav!), country ham, tomatoes, and greens (I love Parisian salads!). Quinn had the steak.

Since I had such a long break between classes, we headed to a nearby park after lunch to lounge around. We people watched, bird watched, and just relaxed.

During my afternoon demo class, we learned how to make grilled salmon, byron potatoes, sauteed spinach, an emulsified butter sauce, herb crusted pork, choux pastry, vanilla ice cream, chantilly cream, and chocolate sauce. We covered a lot during the demo! The grilled salmon was super simple and super quick, probably something I'll try at home. The byron potatoes were delish (they're potatoes!!); it consists of milled potatoes with a little cream and butter, it's shaped into a small volcano and then topped with bechamel sauce and gruyere. The sauteed spinach was another super quick one, literally taking just a few seconds over the stovetop with some nut brown butter. I love when there is a dessert as part of the demo. The choux pastry was baked then filled with ice cream and topped with whipped cream and chocolate. I'm inspired to invest in an ice cream machine now!


No comments:

Post a Comment