Monday, April 6, 2009

Lesson 6, sweet indulgences, Le Marais

In today's demo class, Chef made puff pastry, slow cooked leeks, and poached eggs in Albufera sauce garnished with veal glaze and bell pepper as well as 2 seasonal fruit tarts. For our practical class, we made everything except the fruit tarts. I can finally say that I've successfully made puff pastry! Woo hoo!


Chef's demo plate
Ideas for what to do with leftover puff pastry dough: Sacristant, puff pastry garnish, and a mini palmier
Chef's almond cream fruit tarts on a sweet pastry crust

After class, I headed home and found a nice surprise! Quinn had my fav chocolate dessert and a bottle of wine waiting for me when I walked in the door. I have the best bf ever! I had a bit of a snafu earlier in the morning, and Quinn was doing his best to cheer me up :-) Thank you Quinn!!!


We also snacked on the tarte tatin and apple tart (Quinn's favs) that I brought home from school. Since we had made puff pastry in our practical class today, Chef made some goodies with our leftover puff pastry dough for us to snack on and bring home.


We went for a stroll in the Marais district and had falafel from Mi-Va-Mi for dinner. I can't believe it took us a good couple of weeks to go back... it's soooo good! I was so tempted to get a pastry from Korcarz Boulangerie Patisserie but we'd already had lots of sweets for the day and I was still in my "20 minute rule" zone. If I still feel like I'm hungry after I'm finished eating, I'll wait 20 minutes to make sure my stomach has enough time to tell my brain I'm already full. If I'm still hungry after 20 minutes, I'll let myself have another portion or a little more to eat. I've been ravenous lately. Even after havin a whole falafel complet to myself, I was still hungry. Just a couple of weeks ago, Quinn and I split one because they were so huge. I blame it on all the walking... Today, I walked 10+ miles and wasn't even tired!

1 comment:

  1. q should do good thing for you more often, he is looking for yammeeee stuff you are learning at school for him someday!!!!!

    chocolate and wine, that too easy for him. tell him to make spam omusubi for you!!!

    lov
    t&r

    ReplyDelete