Monday, March 30, 2009

A typical day in Paris... walking, going to class, cooking, going to a patisserie, hanging out at cafés

Daylight savings took affect yesterday so the sun was just rising as I walked to school this morning. My favorite time of the day in Paris is the early morn when things are quiet, still, and so peaceful. Here's a pic of Île de la Cité and the Seine River on my walk to school.


Today, I had a demo class where the chef made pissalediere (onion tart with anchovies) and fresh canneloni stuffed with spinach and procsiutto with pistou, tomato sauce, and mornay sauce. It took 3 hours to make all the components for the canneloni!


After class, I went to lunch with one of my fellow American classmates, and we headed to Baribal café where I had the steak tartare (yet again) with potaoes (if I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be potatoes... or pain au chocolat).

On the walk home, I stopped by Pierre Hermé to pick up a wasabi grapefruit macaroon. Brian had mentioned it was one of his favs so we had to try it out. It was creamy and quite delish!


I had a leftover fillet from yesterday's salmon (I love leftovers!) so I prepared it over a bed of polenta for a quick dinner.

For an after dinner drink and dessert, we headed to our corner café for café crème and hot chocolate. It was a huge dissapointment. St. Eustache café is 0 for 2. We're not going to go back again. The hot chocolate was not "Parisian" hot chocolate but more like a watered down version of Nestle hot chocolate. Quinn thought he ordered a "tarte tatin" (apple upside down cake), but the waiter brought "tartine buerre" (a baguette with butter) instead. At least the bread and butter was quite tasty...

No comments:

Post a Comment